Advice For Clients: Choosing Your Photographer
There are many reasons to book a PPANI photographer.
- All PPANI photographers are full time. The PPANI will have checked that the photographer has adequate premises, that they have a structured price list and terms and conditions in place. All good safeguards.
- Insurance. All PPANI have their professional indemnity insurance checked annually, protecting you if something happened.
- Backup. If your PPANI photographer takes ill at the last minute, the PPANI will endevour to send out a replacement photographer at no cost to you.
- Training. The PPANI runs a comprehensive training programme – ensuring all PPANI photographers are in touch with the latest trends and techniques.
- Qualifications. All PPANI members have had a panel of images judged and critiqued. This ensures all PPANI photographers are of an excellent standard.
- Awards. The PPANI run annual awards. These are externally judged and highlight the very best photography in Northern Ireland
- Complaints. While we recommend you make every effort to resolve complaints directly with your photographer, the PPANI does offer an arbitration service.
Choosing a Wedding Photographer
Finding the right photographer, one who can capture the emotion of the moment and provide you with a lasting memory of this most special of days, is an important part of planning your wedding and is a decision that much consideration should be given to.
Don’t rush into choosing a wedding photographer. You will be looking at these photos for many years to come so you want to be positive that you are on the same wavelength as the photographer. Do your research, look at wedding albums of friends and families or look in wedding magazines for some inspiration on what style of photos you would like. Check out their website, facebook and other social media! Alternatively arrange to meet with some photographers and look at their portfolios to gain an insight into their skill, style and ability.
Discuss What You Want
Once you have decided on a photographer, you will need to discuss what sort of photos you want taken. Your photographer may suggest a pre-arranged list of images, for example the bride, the bridesmaids, the bride and groom, the groom with the best man and so on. When deciding on the style of your photos, you have a number of options. You could opt for the traditionally posed “set” photos or go for informal images, as sometimes the best photos are the ones taken without the subject’s knowledge. Or why not mix and match some formal poses with a few “behind the scenes” shots?
You will also need to decide where you want your photos taken. Location is very important so try and choose a backdrop that will complement the style of photography as well as the overall themes of the wedding. Some popular spots are the grounds of stately homes, beaches and parks. Check that your chosen spot will be available on the day and be realistic – the rest of the bridal party may not appreciate being dragged to a beach in the middle of an October gale!
Regardless of what style you decide on, a good photographer should be able to capture the spirit of the day, the laughter, the tears of joy and the sense of true romance. To ensure this, it is vital you have a good rapport with your photographer and you feel totally at ease with him or her. This person will be in the background for most of the day, interacting with you and your family and friends. If you are uncomfortable or tense this will show through in the photographs, so if you have any doubts about their suitability don’t hire them.
Prior to the wedding ensure you have all the photography arrangements confirmed in writing, such as the fee, how long the photographer will be available for and the relevant date and time.
Worth Investing In
Our final piece of advice is this; you get what you pay for when it comes to photography. A good reputable wedding photographer is worth investing in as when the dress is hung in a dark wardrobe and the confetti has blown in the wind, your wedding photos will be the all you have to remind yourself of this special day!